Pages

  • RSS

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood


How much were your ancestors impacted by the neighborhood in which they lived? Did they have friends next door? Were relatives on the next block? Was the neighborhood a friendly place where people congregated on warm summer days? Were ethnic celebrations common occurances?

Those neighbors, especially homeowners, may point toward your hard-to-find ancestor. If the census taker or indexer misspelled your ancestor's surname, look for a neighbor you found on a previous census. What a wonderful surprise it will be to locate your family living next door!

My neighbor put a birdhouse on our viewing side of the fence around his pool. Spring and summer were enhanced for us as we watched a wren couple care for their babies. Our neighborhood is friendly, filled with homeowners who stay for decades. My descendants should have no trouble finding me. Just look for the neighbors!

4 comments:

Lori H said...

Growing up, we had a wonderful group of neighbors my parents would socialize with all the time. It's just not like that anymore. Everyone is too busy to get to know one another. It's sad.

It's very nice that your neighbor gave you something so sweet to look at!

Lucie LeBlanc Consentino said...

Best wishes with your blog.

A wonderful day in the neighborhood reminds of of our daughters when they used to watch Mr. Rogers - good memories. Thank you.

Lucie

Laura Aanenson said...

My parents too, Lori! I thought that was lost until we bought our house 10 years ago. We're so blessed to have wonderful neighbors.

Laura Aanenson said...

Thank you for well wishes Lucie, I'm thrilled to have an outlet for my need to share! And Mr. Rogers was on my mind this morning too. lol

Post a Comment