Pages

  • RSS

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday's Tithe

I've encountered many gene-angels in the last decade. I couldn't have accomplished nearly as much on my family tree without so many people who have helped in so many ways. People who willingly shared their experience and expertise. Who offered guidance and direction when I was out of clues, or out of ideas, or just out of steam.

This year one of my resolutions is to quantify more pay-it-forward moments. To give more often than I take. To answer more questions than I ask. To share the resources available to me. I resolve to more actively seek opportunities to "tithe genealogically".

Each month I devote one day to RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness). Today was my volunteer day and I'm completely exhausted. But I'm also really happy because I gave another researcher a reason to leap off her chair. You know the YIPPEE moment, don't you? When someone gives you that tidbit of information that makes another puzzle piece fit exactly right. The tidbit you couldn't have found without help.

What limbs would your tree be missing if you hadn't gotten guidance from a gene-angel? The very nature of genealogists is that of community. How lucky we are to have each other!

1 comment:

FranE said...

I know what you mean. It is an exciting moment. Glad to meet a genealogy angel. :)

Post a Comment