Pages

  • RSS

Monday, January 10, 2011

On this Day in Her-Story ~ 1890 ~ Bessie Littrell

One of my resolutions for 2011 is to focus on my paternal grandfather's side of the family. Toward that end, I printed a calendar of birth dates for those ancestors and their families. I'd like to celebrate each of these special days by determining what I "know" about the birthday boy or girl.

Bessie F. Littrell is my first cousin thrice removed. Her father John and my 2nd great-grandmother Mary are the only known children born to Charles Littrell and his first wife Margaret in Salem Virginia.

After Margaret's death (?) Charles married Mrs. Julia DeMasters, a widow/divorcee (?) with three children. The couple had a son in 1868 and the blended family moved to Springfield Ohio shortly thereafter.

Bessie's parents John H. Littrell and Sarah E. Drumen were married in Shelby County Ohio May 15, 1883. John was a foreman at an iron works company in Springfield for many years.

When she was 20, Bessie married William H. McMahon. Their March 28, 1910 marriage license states "it is expected that Rev. Gardner will solemnize the marriage". The 1930 census shows that the couple and baby Marjorie J. McMahon reside in Reno Nevada. William died in 1969 and Bessie died in 1978, both in Santa Clara California.

Hmm. It appears I don't know very much about Bessie. As a first cousin thrice removed, that's okay for now. The real gift on Bessie's birthday was the opportunity to go through my Littrell notes and formulate a research plan.

Charles seems to have disappeared in Ohio. I'll have to do some sleuthing to see if he'll turn up. And I'd really like to know what happened to Margaret (Bessie's grandmother) in Virginia. There is a birth and death register for Roanoke County on microfilm at the Family History Library. That seems like a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment