Pages

  • RSS

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Only a Genealogist

Is it really possible to be THIS EXCITED about microfilm?!? YES, YES!! It is, it really is!!

Okay, it may be more than just the microfilm. I think it has alot to do with allowing myself some time to review my files, create a research plan, and wander the web in search of resources. Finding the resources, well, that's the icing on the cake!

My 3rd great-grandmother is known only as Margaret. She appears in just one census; 1860 Virginia. In the next census, her husband is married to someone else and Margaret seemingly ceases to exist.

BUT today, because I scheduled time just for Margaret, I found information about records that may help me find her. The Family History Library catalog has a film of an 1853-1885 birth register from the Roanoke County Courthouse in Salem Virginia. I can start there, looking for her children born in 1857 and 1858. This same roll of film contains an 1853-1881 death register which contains a record (according to FamilySearch) for a Margaret Jane Littrell who died in 1867 while married to Chas. W. Littrell.

I'll order the film next week during my visit to the FHC and start the waiting process. Regardless of which way the wind blows, this is one EXCITING day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment