Pages

  • RSS

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Did my dad know your dad?


Daddy and Baggs in Grandma's front yard
My dad loved to take pictures. He took lots of them while he was in the Army from 1949 to 1953. And as you can see from the photo on the left, he labeled them. On the front.

The only scrapbook Daddy ever assembled was the one that began with his Army pictures. A couple years before he died, he gave the bulging book to me.

When I saw those wonderful candid shots of Army buddies relaxing in their fatigues, smoking cigars, playing volleyball and generally having fun, I knew I had to share them. What if the other dads in the pictures shipped off to Korea and didn't return? These images could be among their last.

Enter Wordless Wednesday 2012. I'll be posting photos from my dad's collection once a week for the rest of the year. The pictures were taken between 1949 and 1953 when my dad served in the 17th Company STR in Fort Benning Georgia and Battery D 71st AAA Gun Battalion in Fort Belvoir Virginia.

Did my dad know your dad? If so, he may be in the scrapbook. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Lynne Carothers said...

Quite wonderful and thoughtful! I will enjoy looking at them every Wednesday. I hope there are connections that you can also write about. Good luck!

Laura Aanenson said...

Thank you Lynne! Connections would be truly wonderful and I promise to share.

Post a Comment