Pages

  • RSS

Sunday, January 8, 2012

January Birthdays

Happy January birthday to my late grandmother Frances Lois MANGELS born 23 Jan 1911; my sister, my cousin Alexander, and my nephew Eric.

My grandmother's aunt Amanda Ida MANGELS was born 24 Jan 1893 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois. Amanda testified on my grandmother's behalf when she applied for a delayed birth certificate in May of 1929.

After his divorce from her mother, my grandmother's father Gustave MANGELS married Emilie HEINZELMANN who was born 09 Jan 1899 in Marschalkenzimmern, Rottweil, Baden-Württemberg.
Marie Catherine Gury

Marie Catherine GURY born 11 Jan 1809 in Altroff, Meurthe, Lorraine, France. This photo is said to be of her. The family story is that Marie Catherine first became a nun and later a Mother Superior. I hope to prove or disprove that story this year.

Marie Catherine's niece Pauline GURY was born 22 Jan 1834 in Léning, Moselle, Lorraine, France.

Pauline immigrated to the United States as a child. Another immigrant Pierre Ferdinand SCHMITT (who was born 28 Jan 1843 in Hellimer, Moselle, Lorraine, France) would later become her sister's brother-in-law.

Swedes with January birthdays in my family tree include Raymond Carl Johan TOLF (also known as Unkie) born 09 Jan 1891 in Batavia, Kane, Illinois. Unkie is the ancestor who piqued my interest in genealogy.

Unkie's cousin Pearl May TOLF was born 01 Jan 1883 in Dixon, Lee, Illinois and  Peter August TOLF was born 01 Jan 1858 in Svenarum, Jönköping, Sweden. 

Peter is Unkie's father and my 2nd great-grandfather. He was a blacksmith and foreman for the Wind Engine and Pump Company in Batavia Illinois.

Many of the Tolf men were blacksmiths including Peter's uncle Anders Gustaf TOLF was born 08 Jan 1821 in Lindefors, Jönköping, Sweden.

Foreman Peter TOLF - front and center
Also hailing from Sweden and born in January; Carl Magnus CARLSON born 05 Jan 1871 in Börstil, Uppsala, Sweden.

From my 2012 Burning Questions list;
  • Hanna Sophia PETERSON born 09 Jan 1873 and her brother
  • Carl Frithof PETERSON born 27 Jan 1877 in Tånnö, Jonkopings, Sweden
A number of my Manx ancestors were born in the month of January including:
  • Abigail WALTON born 31 Jan 1836 in Lonan, Isle of Man
  • John WALTON born 24 Jan 1841 in Lonan, Isle of Man
  • Margaret WALTON born 19 Jan 1845 in Lonan, Isle of Man
  • Mary WALTON born 24 Jan 1847 in Lonan, Isle of Man and
  • Jane CHRISTIAN born 20 Jan 1812 in Lonan, Isle of Man who married a Walton
Conspicuously absent from my calendar is the birthDAY of my 2nd great-grandfather Peter THOMPSON. All I know as of this writing is that he was born Jan 1857 in Norway.
Are any of my ancestors in your family tree too?
Please contact me at find.an.ancestor [at] gmail [dot] com
Let's compare notes!

No comments:

Post a Comment