The architecture and landscaping alone make this cemetery a historic treasure. There are some truly breathtaking monuments in Oakwoods, among them the Confederate Mound. A number of Chicago's elite are buried here along with politicians and ministers, athletes and gangsters.
|The Confederate Mound|
Then one day it occurred to me there might be a local teenager or senior citizen who could take pictures of the headstones I wanted so much to see. So I wrote a letter and sent it to Oakwoods...
Thank you for your contribution to the ADA, here are the findings for the 5 inquiries you made to Oak Woods cemetery. Next of kin is in parenthesis.
1. Jacob J. Mueller, Age 66 (son Otto) buried in section F5 lot 227 (see photo) his wife Elise is buried to his left also listed with headstone. (see photo).
2. Otto V. Mueller, Age 44 (sister Alma) is buried in F5 -227 next to Jacob's right side, there is no headstone for him.
3. Alfred Jacob Mueller, Age 62 (son Harold) is buried next to Otto, there is no headstone for him also.
4. Elizabeth Mueller, Age 76 (William) is buried in section R1 lot 571 Dec. 25, 1901. (see photo).
5. Frida Youngberg, Age 74 (daughter Myrtle) is buried in section F7 lot 593 Oct. 12, 1937. There is no headstone for her.
Oak Woods Cemetery
1035 E. 67th Street
Chicago, IL 60637"
|Charles J Youngberg and his wife Freda (nee Tolf)|
|Jacob K Mueller and his wife Elisabeth (nee Schmitt)|