Pages

  • RSS

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Child Lost ~ Josie A Gilman

From the May 15, 1882 edition of the Chicago Daily News, "GILMAN-May 15, 3 a.m., JOSIE A. GILMAN, aged 10 months. Funeral from late residence, 227 Ohio-st."

I located Josie's death certificate using her surname and date of death. The address is the same one found in her obituary. But her parents aren't named.


From her birth certificate above, I learned Josie is the 5th child of George Gilman. But I still don't know her mother's name. For that, I turned to the 1880 census:


Josie's parents are George and Kate Gilman. Her father is a liquor dealer. She had three older sisters and a brother. The family has lived on Ohio Street for at least two years. At first I wasn't sure this was Josie's mother:


But the family's address in the 1900 census confirmed it:


Josie's father George P Gillman died in 1909.


Josie and both her parents are buried in Calvary Cemetery in Chicago.

May they rest in peace.

With the information above, I updated Katie's page on Find A Grave.


Note: I have no connection to this child. As I said in A Child Lost ~ Introduction, my goal is to reunite children with their parents. If you are a Gilman descendant, I hope you'll give Josie a special place in your family tree.


My own genealogy work-in-progress is online at Living in the Past Lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment